Get the facts.
This race is constantly changing. Sign up now to receive information on the issues and events.
- View our Photo Page
Paul Tine is a small business owner in Kitty Hawk who has successfully created jobs in his community, and he has been active in community and economic-development efforts to benefit all of northeastern North Carolina.
Paul started two non-profit organizations to promote economic development for the northeastern region. He has advocated for an agribusiness school in Washington County, started an Angel Tree in Hyde County that has served more than 250 kids and senior citizens, and helped lead the successful push for regional broadband. Former Chair of the Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce, Paul is on the Northeast Economic Development Commission that works to bring jobs to Beaufort, Dare, Hyde and Washington counties and 12 other counties.
His work to promote economic growth has allowed Paul to see firsthand that “business as usual” in Raleigh is holding the region below its full potential. A fiscal conservative and centrist Democrat, Paul believes North Carolina needs a more diverse economy that gives working families better opportunities to thrive. He believes jobs should be the top priority – and that the state needs to focus on making responsible investments in education and job training, roads and infrastructure, and public safety.
A former Cub Scout leader and T-ball coach, Paul lives in Dare County with his wife Whitney and two sons, ages 13 and 8. He graduated with honors from James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va., and enjoys fishing, hunting and competing in triathlons. He is also a member of All Saints Episcopal Church in Southern Shores, NC.
- Owner of Midgett Insurance Agency, with offices in Manteo and Kitty Hawk, NC.
- Created private-sector jobs by growing the agency from 4 to 16 employees.
- Multiple top agency awards including President’s Award, Champions Award and District Service Award.
Economic Development Experience
- Chairman of Create the Future Initiative – Founded and chaired a non-profit focused on 21st Century Economic Development in Northeastern North Carolina. CFI found $5 million in assets and coordinated line placement with NC DOT to help make the northeastern rural broadband project a reality.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors and Economic Vice Chairman for the Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce – Worked with local business leaders, state and local officials, and DOT to fight for the new Bonner Bridge, a critical infrastructure project that is scheduled to begin this year; supported beach nourishment; helped coordinate efforts that won a $400,000 energy efficiency grant that put contractors to work retrofitting county buildings.
- Recently appointed to the Northeast North Carolina Commission for Economic Development.
Infrastructure Development Experience
- Board Member of Northeast Rural Broadband – Founded a non-profit working to develop broadband infrastructure in unserved and underserved areas, helping to make northeastern North Carolina the home of the state’s first major rural broadband project.
- Chairman of the Logistics Committee for the Northeast Commission – Projects include coordinating the efforts to optimize existing infrastructure to attract business interests, and working with the railroads, economic developers and the ports to drive business development in the northeast.
- Member of the Governor’s Broadband Technologies Opportunities Programs Board.
- Board of Commissioners for the e-NC Authority – Appointed by the NC Legislature to assist with the statewide policy to improve broadband access in rural and underserved urban communities.
Energy Policy Experience
- Offshore Energy Exploration Study Committee – Appointed by the NC Legislature to study the viability, relative safety, and economic impact of the existing offshore energy resources. Worked with Republicans and Democrats, the oil and gas industry, and environmentalists to develop a reasoned energy policy that makes sure North Carolina gets its fair share of any revenue generated by federal offshore energy efforts.
Cultural Arts Experience
- Chairman of the Roanoke Island Historical Association –the managing organization for the Lost Colony Outdoor Drama, the longest-running outdoor drama in the nation.
- NC Museum of Natural Sciences Advisory Board Member.